Bojnice Castle

Bojnice castle is a national cultural monument and museum at the same time. It is one of the most beautiful monuments in Slovakia and is visited by visitors from all over the world.

It is also one of the oldest and most distinguished of Slovak fortresses, standing on a travertine hill above the town. The first written records of its existence come from 1113 in a document from the Zobor abbey. In this Latin written document King Koloman confirmed the property as belonging to the Benedictine monastery of St. Hypolita in the upper Nitra.

Originally the fortress was made from wood and grew out of the older fortress. Gradually over the 13th century it was built up from stone as property of the Poznanovec family. The outer walls of the fortress were shaped according to the uneven rocky terrain, so creating the irregular outline with extended fortification.

At the end of the 13th century Bojnice was seized by the magnate Matus Cak Trenciansky and the fortress remained in his hands until 1321. After him, in the 14th and 15th centuries, ownership of the fortress changed hands between the following noble families : Gileth, Leustach and Noffry. The result of the building activities of that time is the preserved outline in the shape of an extended oval of the central living quarters of the fortress built around the small courtyard with well.

Bojnice fortress and its domain were always part of the Royal property, with the King handing out pledges or privilege of heritage to the given magnates.

In 1489 King Matej Korvin presented the fortress together with its domain to his illegitimate son Jan Korvin. It is rumoured that King Matej himself took pleasure in visiting Bojnice and would sit under the lime tree opposite the fortress’s entrance, which was named the King Matej Lime tree. He would dictate official documents in its shadow, which would begin : ‘ Sub nostris dilectis tillis Bojniciensibus’.

After the death of King Matej the fortress was seized by the Zapolsky troops, who inhabited it till 1526. At this time a mighty fortress fortification was built, which, with its walls and towers, has remained preserved till the present day. The lowering bridge at the entrance gate connected to the inner fortress walls interrupted at regular intervals by the four towers, with the outer enclosure fortification were also built at the same time.

In 1527 King Ferdinand I. presented the fortress to Alexej Thurzo. The Thurzos renovated the fortress and transformed it into a renaissance seat. The original Gothic fortress received the character of a renaissance castle with equally high living quarters arranged around the internal courtyard. This face of the fortress we have preserved in the drawings of the town and fortress by J. Ledentua.

After the Thurzo family died out, the fortress once more fell to the crown and King Ferdinand III. presented it to Pavol Palffy in 1643 for his assistance in the battle against the Turks and rebellious Hungarian nobles. Construction began once more in Bojnice and the fortress received a baroque resemblance. In this stage of building the old stone of the fortress was not fully taken into consideration, with the result that the living and representational quarters were shifted to the forefront of the fortress. Construction work to the fortress quietened down at the end of the 17th century and its facade did not alter throughout the 18th and 19th centuries.

 

No Comments Yet

Leave a Reply

Web Design MymensinghPremium WordPress ThemesWeb Development

New Website Launched

July 27, 2014July 27, 2014
Newswebsite Honorary Consul General Mr. Godwin E. Bencini today announced that the Honorary Consulate for the Slovak Republic in Malta has launched its new website. This website is aimed at brining together the Slovak community in Malta, inform them of the Honorary Consulate's work and act as a bridge between Slovakia and Malta. Mr. Bencini encourages all Slovaks, both in Malta and abroad, to engage with this website, share their views and participate in the consulate's affairs.